Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Business Entrepreneur $10,000 in 20-Days Side Hustle Experiment

• $10,000 in 20-Days Side Hustle Experiment

updated 1 week, 3 days ago 0 Member · 1 Post
  • Margaret

November 24, 2022 at 12:48 pm

Background I like money (who doesn’t), and wanted to test out a side hustle to see how much money I can earn in 20 days. My goal is $10,000 (so I can use that money to flip a Rolex). $10K might be unrealistic, but I never know what I can do unless I set the bar high. Which Side Hustles I Considered & Picked Dropshipping: I’ve already done this w/ 6-figure revenues for about 3 years, but logistics are kind of a nightmare so I stopped. It’s quite expensive, margins are not as high as gurus say, and the risk / volatility of logistics make this a fairly high-risk business IMO. SMMA: The sales cycle for B2B is a bit long, so I don’t think this is conducive to a 20-day experiment. Airbnb Arbitrage: Also have done this — quite risky financially and my 14-unit operation imploded back in 2018 when a guest (or the cleaner) installed a hidden camera in the unit and we got banned from Airbnb. Lost $30k/mo before folding. Blogging: Takes too long to backlink/rank, though I think this has a good risk-reward profile. Youtube: See blogging. Freelancing: Low pay, but seems good for a 20-day experiment because sales cycles are a bit shorter and there’s marketplaces for people already looking to pay money. But Freelance What? I created a SaaS that writes SEO-optimized blogs / articles in a click (or at least, gives a very good first draft). So naturally I think I should focus on freelance writing long-form content because: I can move a lot more articles than most competitors (writing manually might take 2 hours, but with this it might take me 10-30 minutes per article). Due to higher capacity, I can undercut pricing for competitors. Which Platforms Are Actually Good Here are some freelancer platforms I applied to, and what I think of them: Constant Content: rejected Freelancer: lots of scams trying to get you to go to telegram Verblio: Waste of time because you can write 100 articles and your revenue depends on people purchasing it. But customers cancel their requests all the time so you can waste a lot of time writing on this platform to get exactly $0. Writing Studio: No response Upwork: A ton of ID verification. So still going back/forth with support to get approved. Pure Content: Got accepted and wrote about $700 of content. People Per Hour: Got accepted, but need to hunt for opportunities / deals. Guru: Lots of scams as well. Indeed: Most opportunities are full time / contract gigs that require 4-8 hour “shifts,” which isn’t the freelance gigs I am looking for. They also have a very lengthy interview process for most jobs which is bad for a 20-day experiment since I’d have limited time to generate income on this platform. Draft (dot co): No response Get A Copywriter: No response Writer Access: rejected Skyword: Completely unclear what to do after you sign up. Content Gather: Useless, same as Verblio. iWriter: Rejected TextBroker: Rejected Scripted: Got accepted yesterday, so sending tons of proposal. But market cap is only maybe $3K (i.e. if I got accepted on all job listings there’s only $3K to grab there). Prose Media: Website’s broken / submit button doesn’t work; waste of time. Thumbtack: Tons of ID verification back/forth; still waiting. Lessons Learned So Far & What I Would Have Done Differently First Lesson: ID Verification If I had known how long it’d take to do ID verification, I’d just do it right the first time. I mostly am failing since I did a more stylized photo of my face on platforms and a lot of platforms reject it. Or for Thumbtack, I had another account w/ them already back when I did service arbitrage back in the day, but forgot about it. So as soon as I made another account, I got banned. ID verification eats up a lot of time and latency, so every day that passes by is another day that I don’t have to make my $10K. Second Lesson: Pick Platforms That Has Highest Potential For Money The second lesson is that the platforms matter a lot. If I had the foresight of knowing what platforms are good and which are bad, I’d just save myself all the endless hours of applying and just have done: Pure Content Upwork Thumbtack Scripted (maybe) Probably an even shorter list once I iterate some more. I didn’t do Fiverr or anything because depending on customers to find me is a good long-term plan, but probably terrible for a 20-day experiment. Third Lesson: AI-Generated Content Is Good, But Not Perfect I coded my own SaaS to generate AI content with 1 click but it requires manual intervention to add links that the client(s) require. This is good, but what I realize is every client’s requirements is slightly different. Some want longer sections, some want bullet points, some don’t want bullet points. What I learned from this is that there’s no “perfect” AI-generated article, because everybody wants something different. So instead of trying to create the perfect 1st draft with AI, I’m now focusing more on features that allow me to do the following in 1 click: Expand sections Reword / rephrase sections Convert long, bulleted examples to a paragraph, and vice versa. And other features that let me do stylistic edits quickly, depending on what that specific client wants in terms of edits. With those additions, I’m able to modify / expand articles a lot quicker. Prior, I’d get a first draft pretty quickly but 2nd+ drafts would take a while since I didn’t have a good way to do stylistic changes. Anyway, I still have about halfway to go, so I’ll see if I can make up this $9.3K deficit here. – by /hq/bobbyswinson – –

Viewing 1 of 1 replies
Reply to: Margaret
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now