Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Business Crash landing (I don’t make many stories so constructive criticism is welcome.) : HFY

  • Crash landing (I don’t make many stories so constructive criticism is welcome.) : HFY

     Deborah updated 1 week, 4 days ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Deborah

    February 15, 2020 at 8:06 am

    The following was written by Rag:Shade Yutata, a cleaner abord the UGF Guard (a class 2 defender ship). It details her survival, along with one fellow crew member, from after her ship was destroyed to the day of her rescue. Translation errors may occur for some languages.

    Day 1

    The day everything happened started normal, I’d cleaned floors, walls, emptied some of the bins on the floor I was cleaning, then an alarm went off. At first I was unsure of what to do, I’d went through training of course but when it’s not a drill everything seems so diffrent. I never did find out what happened or why we had to abandon ship. I just started running for the escape pods. When I got there most of the pods had left. I got into one with two crewmembers inside already. With the three of us all buckled in the pod automatically launched and who was in front of me, with what little control he had, aimed us at the nearest planet.

    The landing was not soft. We crashed down through several trees and skidded along the ground for many meters. Maybe it was luck, or just good aiming by the one who aimed our pod, but we’d come to a stop in a clearing, maybe eight meters by twelve meters, give or take. That was all the luck our “pilot” had though, the impact had killed him. One of the chairs in front of me spun round to reveal the person who I’d be with until my rescue, a human who’d worked in the kitchens and went by the name Sam, short for Samual. He, at the time I didn’t know his gender, pointed to the small screens at the front of the pod before speaking. He told me that I would be able go breath the air outside but it would be bad for him. Then he asked for me to pass a breathing mask. I didn’t speak, just did as I was asked, not a minuet after he’d fit the mast th his face did he open the pod’s door. It was now I realised how big the clearing was and just what trouble we were in.

    While I stood there worrying about what to do the human, Sam,was busy getting things from the pod and flipping through a book on what to do. Eventually I snapped back to reality and asked how I could assist. My task was simple, get some things from one of the pod’s wall panels and put up a shelter going out from the pod’s door. The last thing we did that day was bury out fallen crewmember. We used a small hand trowel from the “survival tools” on the pod, dug a pit and lay him in it before covering him. Sam seemed like all his energy was gone and suggested we try to sleep in the pod. After the pod door was shut it was amazing how fast sleep came to us.

    Day 2

    The weather was the same as the previous day, cloudy but not cold, and we both woke when a loud band rang out around us. The sound of someone, letting off a survival flair, mere seconds later I was out of the pod and firing out own flair. There was at least one other who’d survived the landing and with any luck we’d meet them soon. Tbe days tasks mostly blued into one long task. Try to make out pod camp livable. Sam went to get wood from some of the trees to make a fire, he claimed it was for warmth even though the pod was warm enough, he then set about checking all the get and equipment we had on the pod. I spent the day making sure tbe pod was sending out a distress call and fixing the shelter to the pod after it came undone. After a light lunch, that Sam had to eat inside the sealed pod, we went back to our tasks. I was thankfull that out food supply would last us longer, food for three being eaten by two.

    As evening approached I found out that Sam would need much more sleep than me, eight hours at best, and it blew my mind. I thought humans didn’t sleep much and my usual three hours of sleep suddenly seemed much better. He went the sleep I the pod as I stayed up trying to plan what to do next. I was glad that the fire was made, the pod may be wall but outside at night was cold.

    Day 3

    The morning was not an easy one, I’d fallen asleep next to the fire and jerked awake when a cold breeze blew, my boy ached from sleeping on the floor. I tapped on the pod door to wake Sam. There was only one more task in the guide book we had, find food and water. To call the guide book a book as a stretch, it was hardly even a leaflet. Be that as it may we both set off together with a few tools from the pod. A compass, step tracker, sharp knife, small bucket, and toxicity indicator.

    We headed where the compass said was north for 812 steps before be came to a fruit bearing tree that was safe to eat from, it was only small but there was a great many more close by. When we reached the 5,000 step mark we turned back, we’d found no water but we would try heading east next. The trip back was easy. Turns out the Sam brought the knife to carve arks into trees we’d passed and now we had a marked out route between camp and the safe fruit tree. It was early afternoon (we think) when we got back to camp so we tried heading east for water. The trip was cut short though when after only 350 steps we came to a cliff, we just turned back and decided to spend the rest of the day in camp.

    Eating was uneventful that day and I’d like to say the night was the same. Sam was about to go to sleep when a scream eang out through the trees. Sam was back up in seconds and armed with the knife and an axe I’d not known about. There was more screaming and voices we couldn’t make out, Sam brought me into the pod with him and shut it. He insisted on taking ‘first watch” and said he’d wake me in a bit it took me a while to sleep as the screams took some time to stop. True to his word I was roused sometime later to take “my turn” as he slept, it was an uneasy night.

    Day 4

    The first half of the day was spent in camp. Sam used the newly found axe to cut some more wood from the fire but kept one long straight piece for himself. After several slow hours he was happy with whatever he’d done to the stick and told me not to add it to the fire. Lunch was hard but I got though it. Afterwards Sam insisted on going north again. I didn’t understand why yet but didn’t want to argue. The reason was quickly apparent. Less than 200 steps from camp was a large amount of sharp rocks about 15cm long. Sam and myself filled our bucket with the rocks and brought them back to camp. When we got back was asked to sort them from sharp to dull. They were all sharp but some where clearly sharper than others. *Sam got more lengths of wood and went about doing what he was doing to them.

    When evening came I finally understood what Sam was doing. He was making spears. Crude and primitive, but I wasn’t going to complain. The evening meal went better. I felt that much safer with the few spears we now had. Sam wanted more. So did I. Our “night shifts” went fine with nothing happening.

    Day 5

    Noting much happened. We made some more spears until we ran out of rocks, we had a nice pile of nineteen. We both stayed in camp though.

    Day 6

    The morning was spent talking and getting to know one another more. I was a little surprised we’d not spoken about ourselves at all and only talked about surviving. After a light lunch we headed south in search of water and joy of joys we found it. A little over 5,000 steps south we came to a fast flowing river. A quick check later revealed some bacteria living in it that we could kill by boiling the water. We spent some time there hoping to find bigger life in the river but nothing could be seen. I, a herbivore, wasn’t to bothered but Sam seemed upset, remarking how he’d “love a fried fish right now”.

    The evening and night was quiet as was all of the next few days.

    Day 11

    I’d like to say that our quiet says kept going. They didn’t. My night shift was finally worth it. I saw sow something in the tree line, something moving. It was low to the group d and seemed long but I could t make it out. I woke Sam and we spent a few hours just watching the tree line for anything we could. As the sky got lighter and we could see better it became clear that nothing was there anymore. The daylight hours went well enough and nothing of note happened. Then evening fell.

    Sam took first watch again and this time was outside the pod with me inside, before getting my sleep I watched him walking around the clearing with his eyes locked on the tree line and spear pointing forward. I felt safe. Strange, me a herbivore, feeling safe when along with an omnivores. Shure Sam and me had only been eating the survival rations and fruit we’d found but his comment about fish still stuck with me. Eventually he woke me for my turn at standing guard.

    It started well. I did as he did and walked around with my spear forward watching for movement and it was going good for a while. Then it wasn’t good. Whatever was watching us that morning was back with what seemed to be two others, like lightning they bolted from the tree line and ran straight for me. In that moment I wasn’t a brave defender anymore, I was pray, with the instincts to match, and I turned on my heels and ran. As I approached tell trees a lept up high to land on a branch, I can only thank my ancestors for evolving leg like these. At first I had no idea what to do. My Spear was on the floor and I was trapped in a tree with what looked like large lizards trying to get to me. I did all I could think of and yelled out to Sam for help. I saw his face appear in the window of the pod’s door before be ran out.

    I’ll never forget what happens next. Sam ran out with a spear and shouted louder than I thought possible. The first part of his shout ‘leave her, leaver her” made me feel safer but his next line “attack me instead you stupid godzillas” worried me. Sam was actively wanting to be attacked. The three lizards turned their atention the him and ran for him. Sam was ready with a spear and had even grabbed a long piece of wood from the fire too. The first lizard to get to him was batted away with blazing stick. The second, and largest, was given a few nasty stabs from the spear before backing off for a bit. The first attacker tried again, this time rearing up high looking like it was trying to bite Sam’s neck. My eyes were fixated on the scene as Sam shoved the burning stick into the lizards mouth. It recoiled from the pain and Sam stepped after it shoving the stick further down it’s throat. The creature looked to be trying to regurgitate the wood but Sam stopped it by shoving the spear into it’s torso. Suddenly Sam let out a blood curdling scream.

    I’d completely lost track of the other lizards and it seemed that Sam had too. The smallest of then three had bitted down on his ankle. It was the last mistake the lizard made as Sam lifted the spear over his head and with both hands brought the tip down right through the lizards head with a strength I almost thought was untrue. The largest of his attackers tried to bite at Samagain, he took a hand off the spear to grab the neck of the creature. It seemed that the spear was stuck where it was as Sam was forced to the ground by the weight of the reptile, laying atop him the length of the creature became truly apparent. Almost four meters long with it’s tail making up half its length. In their downed position the creature had an advantage and Sam’s movement looked to be more desperate.

    I’m ashamed to admit it but I found myself crying. All I could think was that Sam was soon to die and I would be next. Worst of all though, I didn’t do anything, I just stayed where I was and did nothing to help. I could tell Sam was shouting but I couldn’t make out what, and it took a nasty snapping sound to get my mind off my fear. I focused on the two fighting and through my tears could half make out them. Sam had snapped one of the creatures front limbs and it was trying to escape. Now injured and without back up the lizard seemed much less of a threat, from where I was at least. It made an attempt to escape but Sam wasn’t going to let it. He grabbed it’s tail and, placing a foot on it’s back, reached down to snap both its back leg after some violent wrenching. With only one working limb on his attacker Sam ran to grab a fresh spear from by the pod. He ran back and started to repeatedly stab through the torso of the lizard.

    I’ll never be able to see humans the same way again.

    I stayed up in the tree for some while as Sam went back to the pod. He got the first aid kit and went to work on his leg. He’d just killed three creature and only suffered one injury himself. Eventually I built up the courage to return to ground level and approach Sam. He was in pain and his blood kept flowing for a dangerously long time before clotting. There was little sleep for the rest of the night and we both hid inside the pod.

    Day 12

    It was not an easy day. I’d known all along but only now was I truly reminded that I was alone with someone who could kill me. I was told to remain in the pod and didn’t dare question the instruction. I had no idea what Sam was doing outside for some time, not even daring to look out the window. I jumped when the pod door opened again and Sam stood before me covered in blood. What he’d done was suddenly clear. He’d cut up to reptiles and had now come to get the toxicity indicator.

    Had he left me in the pod so I didn’t have to watch? I like to think so.

    Lunch wasn’t fun. Sam could eat the meat safely and, much to my disgust, did so. I don’t judge, of course, but I still feel a little sick when I see someone eating any part if an animal. Sam didn’t mean to make me feel unwell, I’m sure. The rest of the day went as well as I could hope. Resting and no more attackers. Sam didn’t have anymore meat thst night, to my joy.

    Day 13

    I was awoken by Sam’s sounds of pain. His injury wasn’t healing, it hadn’t even formed the smallest of scabs, and he wasn’t sure if it would. After fully removing the dirty bandage we both worked out that there may be venom in the bite that was keeping his blood flowing. I was asked to go out and collect more sharp stones. I felt fairly safe in the daylight hours but still ran fast. I returned as fat as I could though after hesring Sam yell out.

    As I got the our camp I saw him pressing the flat of the knife against his injury. I’d been worried that more lizards had attacked, what I’d do if they had I didn’t know. Probably run, I hope not, but I suspect so. He then put the knife in the fire before touching it to the other side of his leg. I waited a few minutes before making myself known. Sam and I then spent some time placing the stones in, the start of, a ring around our pod and shelter. I decided to go and get some more rocks that we added to the line. I decided again to go and get some more, I hadn’t noticed how dark it was getting until I’d already collected the rocks, it was getting late so I ran back to camp. Upon my return it took a few seconds go notice Sam’s location. He’d lay down on the top of the pod with a spear in hand. It was both unsettling and reassuring, paradoxically.

    Day 14

    Most of the day was spent in camp, I collected one more bucket of rocks just before lunch but that was the only excursion from camp. We finally had enough to make a full, if small, ring of the stones around us. Sharp and pointy as the stones were they provided more comfort than I expected. Sam’s injury seemed to be better now that the bleeding had been stopped.

    Day 15~18

    The days seemed to be getting better. I took two trips out a day and collected even more rocks, we’d made a full three rings around ourselves, Sam stayed behind and used the axe we had to cut up more wood to make our rings that bit more of an obstacle. He also used my trips out to have lunch, he only had meat when I wasn’t at camp, our dinner time was spent with me eating the fruit and him eating the rations from the pod. On the eighteenth day I had to take a third trip out to get some more fruit.

    Day 19

    Both happy with out current defences I asked if there was anything else we may need. Sam’s response of “a pup” made me laugh. We both just relaxed for a while, it’s surprising just how quick I became comfortable around him again after what I’d seen, I suspect it was because he waited for me to leave or sleep before eating more meat. After some time he requested I pick some larger branches from the trees to cut off. At first I expected more spears but he actually wanted to make the fire bigger. “More fire, more warmth” He remarked.

    By evening we had built a sort of round pyramid from larger pieces of wood. We buried them a little into the ground so they wouldn’t slip and fall away. We both felt safe again (or as safe as we could).

    Day 20~21

    There was little to do now, not counting topping up the fire of course, we had weapons, fresh food and water (we still had both food and water rations), defences for our camp, warmth and light. The nights were not to cold, Sam was fine, but I felt slight chills when the wind picked up. Best of all Sam’s injury was looking much better. We changed the bandage after lunch on the twenty-first day and Sam spent several hours exercising his leg. Mostly just walking around, a little jogging and some posing.

    Day 22

    Sam finished the last of the lizard meat and discarded of what was left to the bodies over our defensive line.

    Day 22~29(?)

    Despite our situation we found ourselves getting bored, some days blurring together. I thought we may have been going crazy but I realise now thst we were just getting more and more comfortable with each other. One day, I think the twenty-sixth, Sam left camp to come gather fruit with me. It was a big deal as he had remained in camp since his injury.

    Day 30(?)~50(?)

    We’d gotten a pattern down by now. Wake up, a light breakfast, some exercise and rest, lunch, gather fruit or water (if water then boil it), a short nap for Sam, evening meal, first watch for Sam as I sleep, Sam wakes me for my night shift as he gets his sleep.

    There was some change from day to day but nothing major.

    Day 51(?)

    Our final day before rescue started as any other. Then, to our joy, not long before lunch we heard the sound of an approaching landing craft. Our rescue had arrived. It was only after we got on the rescue ship did we both realise just how bad we both smelled, we’d gotten used to it but we had only worn one set of clothes for (I think) about fifty days straight. A nice long shower was on both mine and Sam’s mind, then a stiff drink for us both as well. Before leaving we mentioned the person who died when we crashed, his boy was dug up to return to his family.

    EDIT: I can’t believe I’m having to add this but I’ve been told do. We dug a hole and used that as out toilet.

    EDIT 2: It was on the other side of the clearing to our dead crewmember. We did not use his grave as a toilet.

Reply to: Deborah
Your information:

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018