Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Activity Forums Q & A How I started and grew a software design service with $0, by letting my customers lead the way and have been hired by Elon Musk’s team, Fortune 500 companies and B2B Software Startups from around the globe.

• How I started and grew a software design service with $0, by letting my customers lead the way and have been hired by Elon Musk’s team, Fortune 500 companies and B2B Software Startups from around the globe.

updated 2 weeks, 4 days ago 0 Member · 1 Post
  • Christine

October 31, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I usually skip the long stories in this sub so I’ll try to share my story through bullet points (based on what I can recall from memory). I started my design company a little over 10 years ago, doing all sorts of projects from a variety of companies. At some point, I read that it’s best to start with a narrow focus and expand gradually (instead offer everything to everyone), so I took a bunch of steps back and started a Logo Design service for software companies. Why? I enjoyed doing logo designs, and most of my friends are software engineers. I also read it’s best to productised your service, so you can build a scalable business. So I decided to productise my logo design service Wasn’t sure what to price it, so I went with “Name a fair price, get pixels back” (hence the name..) Started designing logos for $25, then $50, then people started naming their price of $300 and above. Every time I would break a record, I would gradually up the minimum price. At some point I had the idea, in order to stimulate higher prices, to organise the orders based on bid-size. If you name a high price, I would work on your logo first, so you’d get your design faster. This business kept growing until one customer asked if I could help him with more designs for his business. I said, “sure… how about I’d give you unlimited designs for $500/mo?” (This was years ago, way before the avalanche of subscription design services that exist today) I Kept getting clients through word of mouth but quickly realised I fell in the same trap again. I was providing a service that was too broad. Designing flyers, social media posts, websites, t-shirts, etc. By not being able to do one thing over and over again, it was hard to become the best at something. I was mentally jumping from totally different projects, for a relatively low monthly rate. I took a step back and analysed my customers: who did I enjoy working most with? On what type of projects?: UI/UX Design for software companies was. So I took an other step back and narrowed my design subscription service. I doubled my prices, customers kept signing on. Doubled again, and still kept seeing growth. I had to start hiring and build a team to keep up with the growth of the company. More companies started contacting me. Now, not just startups, but Fortune 500 companies. Well known tech brands. YC companies and more recently Elon Musk’s team hired us to help design some of their internal software. A few months ago, I took an other step back to analyze the business. What would be the next step? Offer what exactly? For which companies? The answer was what many customers had been bugging me about for over a year. Add frontend design on top of the UX/UI service. Let’s see what the future brings. – by hq overview fairpixels – –

Reply to: Christine
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now