Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Business Entrepreneur In 2008 i quit a job i hated, and to my (sad) surprise my mum screamed at me to beg for my job back. I was shocked. That started me thinking that i need to be selective of what others think…which also made me more decisive in my entrepreneurship journey. Here’s what i learnt.

• In 2008 i quit a job i hated, and to my (sad) surprise my mum screamed at me to beg for my job back. I was shocked. That started me thinking that i need to be selective of what others think…which also made me more decisive in my entrepreneurship journey. Here’s what i learnt.

updated 12 months ago 0 Member · 1 Post
  • Margaret

December 9, 2021 at 7:33 am

TLDR: People have their own opinions, and yes, you can ask for their opinion(s) but note that not all opinions are of equal importance. Only you know best the very specific situation, the data points and what will make you happy or not. The background story is that i didnt quite like the toxic game / politics that was being played at the work place that i hated. It was a sooner-or-later situation, and i pulled the plug. After that, i called my mum to tell her of the news. I was both shocked and intrigued when my mum heard the news: she would call me, scream into the phone to tell me how disappointed she is in me, and that i should call my ex-boss back, and then hang up on me. Repeatedly. First, i was disappointed and sad – i was expecting and hoping for a little more love, understanding, you know, like “it’s okay son, keep trying. Are you alright?” Perhaps that was what that broke my heart, but at the same time, it sort of woke me up too, and i started asking if it’s even important that i get her mental or emotional support. Either ways, she wasn’t going to give me that. So in parenting terms, i had to learn to “self sooth”, and to rely and trust my own judgment calls. The first upside: I started to feel more confident making my own decisions. I would weigh others opinions where available or applies, but it needs to be factual (useful) rather than pure reaction / emotions (not useful). Questions such as Hiring or firing that person? Investing in that project or program? Learnign that specific course? How should we expand the business? Where and how? Sue or not sue? These became easier consider and make decisions on when it is more data/facts-driven. 2nd upside: i got happier by a lot – it just takes the weight off my shoulders when i dont think so much / worry less about what x or y person will think. I mean, i will ask for opinion still, but i’m much more confident and comfortable nowadays to take the better tho less popular decisions. Here’s a video with more practical advice and examples of good / useful realizations if you enjoyed this About me: I’m an average entrepreneur, dad and husband who is fascinated with marketing, leadership, entrepreneurship and creating a life and stuff that matters. These videos and posts are a fun project for myself where I share about what I’m thinking about or cool stuff I discover. – by /hq/nigel_chua – –

Viewing 1 of 1 replies
Reply to: Margaret
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now