Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Activity Forums Q & A Site Decimated After Redesign, Botched 301 Redirects

• Site Decimated After Redesign, Botched 301 Redirects

updated 2 weeks, 4 days ago 0 Member · 1 Post
  • Kat

October 28, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I wanted to tell you about my experience with redesigning my site for my 2 year anniversary, and the importance of correctly setting up 301 redirects. I run a website where I support indie creators and artists (mostly indie comic books). It is a small niche, but I found a way to grow a bit every month. I had just hit the point were I was getting 20k views a month. Then I decided to redesign my site. I completely updated my branding and site theme. I optimized everything. My site is much more user friendly and faster than it was before. However, I did decide to change my permalink structure from date-post, to just post. I thought I was doing everything right, having 301 redirects set up. I checked it and everything seemed to be going fine. Two days later I start getting messages from my audience that they can’t access my articles anymore. I eventually find out that I forgot to check the regex box on my 301 plugin. After I fixed it, everything worked fine. However, since then my traffic has dropped from 700-1000 people a day to about 100 a day. I am now ranking for half of the keywords I was just a few weeks ago, and it all seems to stem from the 48 hours my articles were down. For anyone who experienced this before, is there a way back from this, or did I basically lose my last year of organic traffic? For those of you thinking of changing your permalink, please make sure you don’t make the same mistake I did! TDLR – When changing your permalink structure, make sure you have redirects set up correctly. – by hq overview EffectiveNerd – –

Reply to: Kat
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now