Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Business Entrepreneur Starting A Polaroid Business – $50-$100 per Photo

• Starting A Polaroid Business – $50-$100 per Photo

Deborah updated 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Deborah

January 16, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Hello. I am considering a side gig to make some extra cash. I was thinking about getting a polaroid and a pack of films. The polaroid itself is cheap compared to the average price for a pack of films. I’d spent around $2.50 for one photo.

​

My plan is to sell a photo each for $50-$100. I was thinking about going to places with a lot of people walking by. For example, either outside or inside of a movie theater, the mall, downtown areas, etc.

​

What is the general consensus of my side gig idea? A bit too steep on price or would there need to be more value put forth in my “product” for it to be worth the price tag? On the other hand, is the price per photo fine, but would requires a significantly high amount of charisma and sales skills?

• Broed_Out_Hipster

Are you talking about $50-100 American dollars? why would anyone pay that when most malls and movie theater arcades have photo-booths for like 3 dollars? Also why would anyone pay that for a single print when a camera would be like 60 bucks including film??

I feel like I’m missing something or a joke is going over my head.

• Sascot

I think the cell phone has pretty much made this obsolete as a business

• TRAINS_CHOOCHOO

The only thing stopping this from being one of the worst ideas I’ve heard on this subreddit is that at the end of it you would only be down the cost of the camera and film. You’d legitimately be better off selling pet rocks for $50-100.

• Cakelord

Are you a trained photographer? No really cause to sell a single Polaroid for $50-$100 you better be good.

• IntoTheWildBlue

Would you pay $50-$100 for a Polaroid? Me either.

• kerryaislinn

You will need to consider your audience here. If you are looking to photograph the general public, more than likely they won’t want to pay that much. If you are selling the polaroid image as a fine art print in a gallery, that is where you could raise the price. However, at that point, it would need to be something more in the realm of fine art that a collector might want to spend some money on.

If you found a way to really make your photos unique, that is when I would say your price could be okay. Just throwing ideas out there. Lets say you have made this really cool art installation that visitors can walk around in. Charge them an entry fee and make the polaroid a bonus they get to take home with them to show their friends where they went. Think about the experience and not the photo itself. 🙂 People will pay much more for an experience they will remember.

• PoloRalphLaurenSocks

This seems like something you can easily try and find out if it works or not. There’s no need to consult others here.

But here’s another idea: take a DSLR and a laptop to a tourist location. Offer to take pictures for a fee. You could maybe do some quick edits to the photos and then transfer them to the customers’ phones within minutes. You can upsell more involved editing that you can email a few days later. Have some samples on you to make it easier to sell.

I would 100% pay for that service. Your only costs would be fixed: the camera and laptop, if you don’t already have them.

• AlmostWardCunningham

LMAO you know EVERY cell phone has a camera right??

• jjnoname

What’s stopping someone from doing the same thing right beside you selling them for $49?

• fibr3001

50-100? I think its a bit to steep
    I would say $5-10

• SafetyMan35

I have a hard time paying $50-$100 for a professional (although crappy) school photo of my kids. No way I am going to pay $50-$100 for a Polaroid when I can replicate something similar using my cell phone and an Instax printer or some Instagram filters. Heck, at $100, you are more expensive than an all day photo pass for Six Flags amusement parks, and you are approaching the cost for a Disney World photo package

• ZER0GR4V1TY420

No way you sell a Polaroid for $50 – $100, you’re tripping if you think that will work. More like $5 – $10. Maybe $20 if you have some kind of gimmick but even then I doubt people would pay more than $5/$10.

• Alwaysmadd89

tape a couple bananas to a wall and take a polaroid of that. then tape the Polaroid to the wall and take a picture of that. boom. sell for 250k.

• FlippinFlags

For a “donation” based pricing I think this could work..

But you’re talking $5-10 each..

Nowhere near $50-100

Viewing 1 - 15 of 18 replies
Reply to: Deborah
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now