Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Business Entrepreneur Need advice on situation with co-founder Reply To: Need advice on situation with co-founder

• spant245

December 6, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Usually, if you’re feeling the need to continue adding “just one more feature” to make a product valuable and keep user interest, it’s a sign that you’re not solving an important enough problem. Although you can continue trying to slog it out, I’d bet from your write-up that it’s going to be a long, painful road and may not ultimately create that much value for you.

I’ve been in a similar situation, but then found another product idea along the way. The difference between the first and second products was undeniably clear. With the first product, we couldn’t retain users even when it was free. We kept telling ourselves that we just needed to add features, but it never made a difference. Potential investors tried to tell us we weren’t solving a valuable enough problem, but I just thought they lacked vision.

But with the second product, customers were asking to pay for even the earliest beta. So, we made a hard pivot, which was a gut-wrenching decision at the time. It was hard to throw away almost two years of work. It was the right call, though. It continued to be relatively easy to add customers, raise a seed round, and even when we raised prices, there was no less demand. It ended up being quite successful.

I don’t mean to discourage you or sound harsh. It’s just that this is a very common pattern, and it typically doesn’t work out. Your time and psychic energy are the most valuable resources you have, and you’re describing a situation that seems to be draining both. Life is too short to get caught in that trap for an extended period of time.

When you’re on a promising path, that fact will seem more self-evident. You won’t have these sorts of questions and concerns.